Monday, June 11, 2012

Yes, I'm still here

I had a lot going on this weekend, so I ended up skipping the Friday squat workout, intending to make it up on Saturday, but then all of the Saturday activities prevented from getting to it. And Sunday, well, Sunday I just wasn't up to it.

Now I'm starting day one of the deload week a workout behind. To make up for lost ground, I'm combining what would have been the Friday/Saturday squat workout with the Monday deload overhead press workout. And, yes, I still plan to do the deload squat workout on Friday as scheduled. If I were going to make the mistake of missing a workout, I picked the right time to do it. It will be easy to make it up as part of the deload plan.

As had been scheduled for last Friday, I worked up to 225 on the squat for three reps (since this is week 3, the plan called for one+ reps). Since I'm working this into the OHP workout, I skipped the leg presses and leg curls and instead threw in a couple of warm-down sets on the squats at 175 and 155. I think it's a fair compromise.

The OHP workout called for a max of 80, but I'm doing 95, since it's pretty light. I supersetted OHP with chins and dips across three sets. A good workout without overdoing it, which is exactly the intent of the deload week. This is recovery time for the muscles after having gone heavy last week.

I've decided to switch to Wendler's Big But Boring (BBB) plan starting next week. There's no particular reason for it other than it will give me additional work in the big movements themselves rather than splitting the emphasis with the assistance movements. The assistance exercises are great, and I'm sure I'll go back to the Triumvirate at some point; I just feel what I really need is more work on the really big stuff. So, starting next week, boring it is.

Today's log is, of course, on Fitocracy.

No comments: