Monday, March 8, 2010

Feels like wind sprints with weights

When it comes to the leg workouts, I always find myself in a fight for motivation. The leg workout hurts the most, and it's the one I know I most need to do. After I go through with it I feel better about myself for having done it, but that doesn't help on the front side when I'm staring at the gauntlet on the ground.

I continued with the giant sets today with six of the following in succession:

Frontal squat on squat stand
6-8 reps
Powertec Workbench squat
6 reps
Step-ups
6-8 reps each let

I started with a light set of 12 reps on the squat stand with just the bar then moved to the Powertec squat and did 8 reps at 90 followed by 8 reps of step-ups.

In the second set I did 8 reps @ 90 on the frontal squat, 6 reps @ 180 on the Workbench and 8 reps for each leg on step-up.

In the next two sets, I did 8 reps on the frontal squat @ 115, 6 reps on the squat @ 180 and 6 reps of step-ups.

I then dropped the weight back down to 90 for two sets on the frontal squat for 8 reps again followed by 6 reps @ 160 on the Workbench and 6 reps of step-ups.

I finished up with one straight set on Workbench.

It didn't look like much on paper, but after that third set, my body was screaming for me to quit. What I like most about this workout is that it gives my legs some intense work without stressing my back. I've found that the more weight I load on the Powertec squat stand, the more it hurts my back. By supersetting and giant setting, I can get in a good workout at lower weights and still feel like I'm accomplishing something. And I have no worries about hurting my back. The one aspect of the Powertec Workbench that I dislike is the ergonomics. It looks good until you start packing on the weight. It's when your body is under the most stress that you realize something just doesn't feel right.

I will make the best of what I've got for now, but if the opportunity presented itself, I'd seriously consider going back to my old power rack.

No comments: